Friday, May 18, 2012

Mr. Independent

With each day Zay gets more and more self-sufficient. It's a balance for me to be oh-so proud of him and to not be overwhelmed with each passing day that the learning comes easier, faster and more effective than the day before. I can hardly keep up with him some days. He's such a problem solver. And with his speech getting better each day the ongoing effects of knowing how to argue is becoming apparent. 

And then there is a little problem with his 'time-out' consequence. I'll state the question "Isaiah, would you like to listen to what Mommy said or do you want to stand in the corner (his timeout spot)?" And he will promptly choose the corner! I've started making him stand there for a longer period of time, but it's just comical to me that he prefers the corner over doing (or not doing) a simple instruction. Shane and I have to try hard not laugh at his self-talk while in the corner. And there are many times that while he is making his merry-little-way over to the corner, we can completely read the expression on his face saying "That was totally worth it!" Lord, help me when this boy is a teenager! :) 

Even though discipline is a essential part of parenting a 2-year-old, I've found so much more satisfaction and payoff through positive reinforcement. Zay responds so well to helping around the house. So much so that I've found times where he initiates helping out or finding things that he can do all by himself. 

For example, for a long time now he's enjoyed helping unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher. It started out him putting 'his dishes' away in his cupboard. I basically just have a couple baskets where he can put his sippy cups, plastic bowls, plates, etc. Then he graduated onto assembling the protein shakers for me. 


Then he would hand me the silverware and I would put them away (after all the sharp items were removed of course). And now...the other day, as I'm putting dishes away...I notice he's putting all the silverware away by himself...sorting them and everything! 



Love the fact that he loves to help!



****

There are days that Zay likes to have and do whatever Mommy or Daddy are doing......and Mommy sometimes wear's her sunglasses on her head. Didn't quite work the same way for Zay....


"It's ok, Mom...I think I can fix this..."


****

And to round out our week...pictures of some sprinkler time! We've had many 80+ degree days around here and it's been great! Lots of outside time!  


The game is to throw all the balls into the water and then run in and get them! 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...