Sunday, August 28, 2011

Just call me Betty Crocker...

This weekend I did some serious PKU cooking! Let's just say - some recipes were easier than others!
Homemade Bread - I think I almost have the recipe memorized, easy peasy!

Blueberry muffins - no problemo!

Some peeled & sliced apples, ready to be made into homemade applesauce!

The yummiest (that's a word, right?) applesauce EVER! So thankful for a coworker's free apples to make this!


And then there were the veggie nuggets......

I am certain I have never spent this much time on any recipe I've ever made...PKU or not. The recipe calls for 17 different ingredients...(some of which, are special ordered, ie: egg replacer, wheat starch, low protein bread, etc)

The directions advise 90 minutes of hand-on time and 40 minutes of cook time. Hmmm...somehow it ended up taking me over 2 hours throughout 2 days...before cooking!

At least the instructions were detailed, involving things like:
  • measuring each ingredient out in grams
  • peel, boil, and mash potatoes, while adding in various other ingredients
  • caramelizing onions.......for 40 minutes!
  • roasting carrots in the oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 and adding garlic during the last 15 minute stirring
  • using the food processor to make a paste-like consistency of carrots, garlic and caramelized onions
  • balling each nugget, then forming them into a 'nugget' shape
  • freezing the nuggets before you can put the breading on them...so once you have all the dishes cleaned you have to get the food processor back out to make the breading, so fun
Zay hasn't tried these yet, however I'm certain he will LOVE them and I will spend many hours perfecting this recipe...maybe one day it will only take me 90 minutes to prepare!

Roasted carrots, garlic and caramelized onions

The 'guts' of the nuggets...kind of like a paste consistency.

My best attempt at forming the 'nugget shape'

And finally with the breading!

And my helper with all the cooking!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job!!! I need to work on bread.... and finish some veggie nuggets. I have some in the freezer...but they don't have the breading on them yet! :)

Paul, Abby, and Jillian Hovey said...

Isaiah has one amazing mama! It's obvious you are laboring with love, Jackee!

Jennifer Rice said...

You are so brave! I have been buying Cambrooke's nuggets and Carson really likes them, but they are high in sodium. One day I hope to try to make my own! What kind of bread machine do you have? Your bread looked so good. Or do you use the oven? Mine was doing great for a while, and now it's starting to fall again. I wonder if the changes in humidity are affecting it. I'm certainly not changing anything else!

Julie said...

Wow, looks like you have been busy! Looks good, maybe I will have the courage to try this someday soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...