Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sippy Cup Conundrum

This morning Shane and I spent 20 minutes looking for a sippy cup. Not joking! We were both late for work, because of a sippy cup! This is not the first morning a sippy cup has gone missing, but this WAS the first time we weren’t able to located the hidden cup within a couple minutes.

Zay has had a fascination with putting things ‘in’ and ‘under’ and ‘squeezed between’ and ‘thrown into’ for quite some time. Not to mention our little black fur-baby that loves to carry things off and hide them as well. For example, just the other day we were leaving to go to church and Shane spots a black article of clothing in the mound of snow near our backdoor, then asks…”Why is my SOCK outside in our backyard?”. Thank goodness it was only a sock, we could really get the neighbors talking if we had some undies chillin in our snow banks.

So anyway, back to this morning’s sippy cup. Isaiah is sitting in the middle of our living room while mom and dad attempt to turn the room upside-down in order to find his cup. You see, we didn’t know how much of Zay’s “milk” he had actually drank that morning, so we didn’t know the amount of Phe he’d gotten. Hence, the great need to locate the cup. Oh, how I wish I had a video camera of the entire episode. Shane would look at Zay and ask “Zay, where did you put your cup?”. Zay would look up at him, raise his eyebrows and give the most innocent smile. I’m positive I looked under our couch, loveseat and chair 10 times. And Zay would watch me and then imitate me, as if he was giving me some sort of support by helping me look.

If you ask my husband, I can get very annoyed when something is displaced. I’m pretty sure Shane hates my saying “everything in our home, has a home”. However…this morning while I was carrying Zay to the car, I just had to laugh. Isn’t life all about perspective. To one parent a lost sippy cup is a bummer because you know one day you will find it old, smelly and moldy and probably throw it out to avoid dry-heaving after smelling it. To another parent a sippy cup is worth 20 minutes of searching in the morning and being late for work.

In the end, the sippy cup was located…in the corner of our living room. Next to a toy he hardly plays with. Hidden between the leg of our chair and the dog bed. All is well. Zay was incredibly excited to see his cup and finished his “milk” immediately.

And the real kicker of this story? While walking to the car to get Zay loaded, thinking about the comedy of this morning’s sippy cup extravaganza, I spot TWO socks in the snow…luckily, still no undies.

7 comments:

Aaron and Erin said...

socks in the snow!! LOL, love it! I may have to 'plant' some undies in your yard next time i'm up there...

Anne said...

yeah, worth the read!

Julie said...

Oh my goodness! Noah does the same thing with his cup, I had to look for it this morning for 15 minutes or so! Glad you found it :)

Sarah said...

Hi Jackie! Not sure if you remember me but I'm Erin's friend Sarah in Kansas City! When I'm bored I like to read random blogs and have stumbled upon yours a couple of times. Your little boy is so sweet and your blog is so fun to read! Just wondering how you made your header with the pictures? I've seen other blogs like this and want to do something cute like that with mine, but I'm not sure how... Take care!

Sarah said...

Thanks Jackie! I think I may be able to play around with Microsoft Publisher and do the same kind of thing. Thanks for the offer to make one for me. =) That's so sweet of you. I'll give it a try and if I get too frustrated I'll let you know!

Sarah said...

I figured it out with Microsoft Publisher! Thanks for the help. =)

Becky Bartlett said...

Funny! Aren't those sippy cup searches the worst? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...