Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Heaven is For Real






After hearing a ton of people talk about how great this book is, I read it last week/weekend. One of my coworkers let me borrow her copy.

I have to say, it didn't disappoint! The book had me in tears, it had me laughing, and really just had me in awe!

The beginning of this book brought up some old emotions from when Zay was born. The little boy in the book, Colton, has an undiagnosed appendix, which takes doctors 5 days to discover. I vividly remember hearing about one thing after another of things wrong with Zay, and really not feeling like anyone could get a handle on what what going on with our baby. I think this is where I cried the most during the book!

This book is unique in the fact that there are multiple topics that can relate to many different people. Some people have had a miscarriage and it still causes them a great deal of sadness. Some people have lost a father, mother, grandpa, grandma, etc and still feel very much sorrowful. Some people get angry with God when they can't understand what's happening in their life or their child's life. Some people wonder about Heaven and what it will look like. Some people wonder if everyone goes to Heaven. Some people wonder what Hell is like and who is there. Some people wonder if their dogs go to heaven. Some people wonder if Heaven is for real...

Lots of questions. And I'm not claiming this book has all the answers. But it is an interesting perspective and who knows...Colton Burpo could be accurate about what Heaven looks like, who is there, and what is happening there. I just know that he was an encouragement to me to remember that this life is only temporary. There is still so much more to come - and I want to be living in a way that, Lord willing, ensures I get to Heaven!

I'm grateful for this book, because it has led to conversations about important things with important people. People I might not have had these conversations with, had there not been this book.

Also, I'm grateful because sometimes we need a little perspective in life, and this book definitely gave me that! It allowed me to open my eyes to the (more) important things and focus on them. It also made me realize that all the pain I felt when Zay was first being diagnosed and the first months of his life...minuscule compared to the pain God went through when He sent His son to die for us. I can't even imagine...

Praise God that Heaven is For Real! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting about this. I added to my swap.com wanted list and also put it on hold at the library....I'm like # 40 in line!

Aaron and Erin Hyde said...

Hey! I started this book last weekend and almost half way thru it. It's a page turner and since the chapters are so short, I just keep reading on. It is REALLY good so far! I agree, GREAT book!!

Julie said...

I will definitely have to read this one! Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...