Tuesday, March 23, 2010

frustrated...

Today I am frustrated...

I don't get into many political issues like the healthcare bill that just passed...I'm generally just a stand on the sidelines type of girl when it comes to that stuff. However, today I'm frustrated with our healthcare system and insurance companies.

Since Isaiah was 4 days old and we found out about his PKU, the University of Iowa Hospitals has been working with our insurance company to hopefully get some sort of coverage for Isaiah's very expensive Periflex formula. And when I say expensive, I mean like $80 for a small can of formula! Well today we got this email from U of I Hospitals...

Hello-

Right before I left tonight, I got a call from UHC on Isaiah Austerman. They will not be covering his formula even though he has PKU. It almost sounded like UHC is going to start following the same stance as UHCRV & not cover formula at all, unless it is written into the contract. The family is going to be receiving a letter in the mail explaining this as well as information on how to proceed w/the appeal process. Can one of you please contact Shane,as I can't get his email address to populate from home, and let him know this information. I would recommend that he talk to his employer to see if they can assist in either getting a special clause written into their plan that will allow UHC to cover the formula or adding the benefit to their plan if the insurance plan is a self funded plan. Also, tell him that if he needs any information from Judy to go w/the appeal (ie: letter, etc) to let you guys know.


This is ridiculous if you ask me. We pay for insurance, however our insurance company views Isaiah's formula as a choice, even though if he didn't have it he would become mentally retarded. This is really hard for me to understand, and I'm truly trying to not worry myself to death. Shane is much more in control about the issue, it's a blessing to be married to him in times like these...he handles everything with such a calm & cool attitude and just looks to the next step.


So we are in the process of writing an appeal to our insurance company. I'm not sure if there is any hope or not, but we are trying to remember that God is in control of all things. No matter what we've been through he has always provided.


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11


5 comments:

Bailey said...

SO frustrating! I know Shane will fight the best that he can, he did a great job with the other appeal afterall. =) Keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers, go get 'em Shane!

Sheena said...

Thank you for blogging, Jackee! Believe it or not, your strength shows through, even in your frustration. God is with you, fights for you, and protects you. (My version of Psalms 46).

I'll keep you lifted up in prayer. Thanks again for sharing :)

Carrie said...

Ahhh, I can feel your pain. It is very frustrating dealing with insurance companies....when we initially took the twins off the company insurance policy, Ella was completely denied healthcare coverage all together. We appealed twice before changing routes all together....
You're a good momma! Praying for you guys and trusting that the Lord will take care of all your needs!

Paul, Abby, and Jillian Hovey said...

So sorry to hear about your frustrations with the insurance company! We pray you can ask God for the big things in this and watch him do immeasurably more than you could have asked or imagined! Isaiah is so blessed to have two parents that will fight for him and do anything to provide only the best for him.

Jenni said...

Sorry this has been a frustrating road for you guys. It will all work out. God will provide!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...