Wednesday, March 31, 2010

March 31

One year ago today.

March 31, 2009...on this day I had a doctor's appointment with Dr. Wing...we discussed all kinds of things, mostly involving why my body was acting weird since I had gone off birth control. I had been to several appointments with a different doctor discussing the issues, however Shane and I were feeling 'pushed' into fertility treatments that we really had no interest in. I had decided to switch doctors, so I could find out what was wrong with my body without the pressure of fertility treatments.

From the moment Shane and I were married we had always discussed how we both had a heart for adoption. So we immediately knew that if we struggled at all with having our own children we would look to adoption. Well...early in March 2009 we began researching and attended some meetings regarding adoption. My heart wasn't ready to forget about the idea of being pregnant with a child of our own, but with a lot of frustrations of not getting pregnant, I was ready to look onward to the next thing.

Well, God had a different plan for us...adoption would have to wait. Because as I sat in Dr. Wing's office that day, we discussed our plan to get my body straightened out. In the middle of our discussion her nurse walks in, hands me a pregnancy test and tells me I'm pregnant! I nearly fell off my chair! The first appointment Shane decided not to come with me and they tell me that we're pregnant!

Thank goodness I was meeting Shane at a lunch meeting right after that. My doctor's appointment ended up taking a little longer than expected and I was running late. I was also supposed to be picking Shane up from work and we were going to ride together to the meeting. Well, Shane had called my phone nearly dozen times while I was at the doctor. I finally call him back, and he is very worried about what I had found out. I really did not want to tell him the news over the phone, so I cut him off and told him I was on my way to his office.

I drove like a maniac to get to his office ASAP...Shane hops in the car and is a little irritated with me for cutting him off on the phone. I could tell he was worried because I hadn't given him any of the details of my appointment. I looked at him and said we better get to the meeting, but before we do I need to show you something Dr. Wing gave me...I pulled out the pregnancy test and handed it to him (yes, I realize this is a little gross but I did not have a lot of time to practice how I was going to make the big announcement...And besides, the nurse handed it to me like I should keep it, so I did!).

After handing him the test, he looks at me and says "what is this?" He honestly didn't know it was a pregnancy test! To his defense they look different at the doctor's office than most of the home tests. I pretty much scream something to the tune of..."Honey, I'm pregnant!" I don't really remember what our short conversation was right then, we were both in shock after being told by our first doctor that he didn't think it would be possible for me to get pregnant without the help of fertility meds. What I do remember is sitting through that boring lunch meeting just looking at each other and smiling!

No one but God could have imagined all that we would go through to get to where we are today. Shane survived a crazy and hormonal pregnant wife. I've survived the pains of pregnancy and labor. And we've survived the last three and a half months of being new parents. Not only have we survived, we've thrived! We've learned that being a parent is one of the most joyful things in this world...and it is also one of the hardest. Everyday Isaiah teaches us more. He definitely inspires us to want to do better and to make this world a better place...for him. We would do anything for our little boy. I still look at Shane while he is holding Isaiah and simply just smile.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...