Tuesday, May 17, 2011

today's adventure

I felt a little bit like we slipped back into our 'old world' today. AKA...Zay's first year of life with every other week feeling like my heart was being ripped from my chest.

Zay's been fighting a bit of something. Fever. Runny nose. Very tired. Nothing really out of the ordinary for a 17 month old boy that might have some sort of bug.

But the most alarming thing...this morning Zay woke up with some sort of rash on his neck. Not a normal skin rash, something else.

I dropped him off at daycare, asked our babysitter if she'd ever seen anything like it. She reassured me, that Shane and my thoughts about calling the doctor were justified, she'd never seen anything like it.

So, this morning Zay and I made a quick trip to see our doctor. As soon as I showed him Zay's little rash on his neck, he starts telling me they will need to do some blood work on him. Plus they did a strep test for an inflamed throat and confirmed another EAR INFECTION.

The rash...petechiae. Our doctor starts out explaining that he doesn't want to alarm me, but he wants to do a blood test to confirm that Zay's blood platelets aren't low. He advised he doesn't see this type of rash very often, maybe a couple times since he's been in practice. (And I'm thinking...of course this is rare, my little Isaiah would never have anything that is just typical!)

Our doctor goes on to explain petechiae. Basically it's small blood vessels that burst and hemorrhage into the skin. It can be caused by an intense bout of coughing or crying. Neither which Zay has been doing. It may be caused by trauma to that particular area of the body. Once again, can't think of how Zay would have trauma to his neck. There are many other reasons it might show up, like Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic (no guarantees that is spelled correctly) basically meaning it shows up after a viral infection.

So...I pretty much lost it for TWO hours while waiting for Zay's labwork to come back. Terrible feeling. It's hard not to think of the worst case scenarios in situations like this.

Results...Zay's platelet counts are perfect. Praise the Lord.

We have to watch the 'rash' and make sure it goes away. I guess it is supposed to go away, much like a bruise would go away. So it could be a few days. Praying it goes away FAST!

And while we wait for that. We are back on antibiotics for an ear infection. BUT, we have a referral to go to an ENT doctor. We are thinking tubes will be in our future. This makes me nervous, but I would LOVE for my little Zay to not have to suffer through these on-going infections.

Sigh...today has taken it out of me. Emotionally.Mentally. Physically. and even a little Spiritually.

I think I've let my tolerance to this kind of stuff slip a little.

I was thankfully reminded by a friend today:

"God is good, all the time. Sometimes he just does a temperature check of our faith to make sure that we're still in the game"

Yep! Still here, God! Still in the game! Thanks for the heat check!!! :)

Goodnight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh geez. Of course he would have something rare, that's just how our kids are! Hoping that it goes away quick and Zay is back to 'normal' soon!

Julie said...

I'm so sorry Isaiah is not feeling well again. I hope he gets back to himself quick! If you do go with tubes, my middle daughter had them and our experience was good. I hope all goes well for you all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...