Monday, April 2, 2012

Blessed. We are.

I've been a mom for approximately 27 months to a little boy with carrot-colored hair and the heartiest personality to ever come out of a 36+ inches. In just over two years he has not only grown to be at least half the height of his mother, but he has discovered  a great happiness in life that God refills him up with each new day. We won't mention the "rarely-sited-in-public-but-always-seems-to-come-out-at-home" two year old tantrums. They are present now and then too.


I have uncovered a simplistic delight in watching Zay acquire knowledge throughout his days. I'm finding that I cannot insert Zay's learning abilities into a neat and tidy little box. Shane and I have always joked that those "what to expect the first years" books are not written for our family. All we can predictably expect is that our Zay is going to do things his way and in his time. And that is precisely who God made him to be. Not just our son, but His son. I think God uses Zay to consistently fill a role as a perspective changer for me. Teaching me that normal can be the uncommon. What's presumed can turn into the unexpected. And what we experience in life can leave us humbled, but appreciative.




I tend to hold on to these truths when I let my mind worry and wander to "is Zay on track", is he doing, saying, and acting the way people assume a two year and 3 month old would? Ah, the unnecessary anguish this can cause a momma! 



Just when I start to get concerned, Zay yanks me back to the real world and amazes me with what he perfectly and positively comprehends! I'm fully aware that Zay is behind in speech. I'm also thankful that two different speech pathologists are not concerned with his delay. It is believed that Zay is going to take off when he is ready. I agree. 



About a month ago, we were sitting at the dinner table when Shane started quizzing Zay on his letters. To both of our amazement - Zay started spouting off the phonetic sounds to at least half the alphabet! Try to get him to say the actual letter name - not going to happen. 



I know this is not how most kiddos learn their ABC's...but I'm thrilled this is how Zay is learning. In his own unique way, he is gathering the knowledge in that little brain and slowly we are hearing all that he's attained. What a joy to recognize the beauty in uncommon, individual ways of achieving education. 



Blessed. We are.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...