Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lent

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.

In years past Shane and I have challenged ourselves to give things up and sacrifice some of the pleasures of life during the Lent season. Not because we have to, but because we think it is good to experience a little sacrifice. Just a microscopic, teeny-tiny, itsy-bitsy comparison of what Jesus sacrificed for us…his life. As one saying I read yesterday said…”Lent is about saying "no" to some things so we can say "yes" to others.”

I’ve challenged myself in many different ways in the past. I think I started out a long time ago giving up ice cream (this was a big deal for me). Then I advanced on to giving up all sweets (this is a REALLY big challenge for me!). Traditionally in high school, I gave up pop, mainly because it was also around the start of track season, and I wanted to be somewhat healthier to get in shape…I suppose this makes it sound like it wasn’t even a sacrifice, but believe me it was! Anyway, the list goes on…

This year I thought I’d try to give up something a little different. Non-food related. So…I’m giving up TV! Yep, no TV for me for more than 40 days! I think this is going to be a real challenge for me. I don’t watch a TON of TV, but there is no doubt I will miss my frequently watched shows…top of the list - Wheel of Fortune! Yep, I know I’m a nerd and my husband constantly asks me why I am not a “Wheel Watcher” yet! One of these days you will probably see my name flash across the screen for being a wheel watcher! :) I'm also really going to miss our DVR’ed shows that we catch up on every so often. And I’ll miss just sitting down and ‘zoning out’.

Yep, I do believe this will be hard one for me! I suppose that is the point! I think it will be a great reality check. It is good to challenge myself in this way – it gives me a great idea of how much of a grip the world has on me!

Someone else pointed out to me, that many times sacrifice is great, because it makes you realize and appreciate all of the blessings in your life...even the small ones like sweets and TV! Isn't it true we consider them "small" until we take them away!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...