Friday, March 4, 2011

Lake Delhi

Many of you know that I am from a little town in Eastern Iowa called Delhi and grew up on Lake Delhi. Some of you might know the catastrophe that happened there last summer...the dam breach. Some of you may not know, that my Dad, Jim Willey, was the president of the Lake Delhi Recreation Association, which owns the dam. I say was, because as of this morning, he has resigned.

Such a sad day for Lake Delhi. Also, sad the circumstances which caused his resignation.

I know few people that work as hard as my Dad. I am constantly telling my Dad to slow down, get some rest, and take some time for himself. Taking care of Lake Delhi was no different. He has worked endlessly to restore the lake for so many people. Some that appreciate his efforts, others that have no idea what type of on-taking such a role requires. Either way, today it is done and it is someone else's turn to step forward.

My reason for this post?

Simply to say that I'm proud of my Dad. He is intelligent, strong and wise. I have watched him persevere with grace and honor. Few people could have helped Lake Delhi the way my Dad did and he will be greatly missed in leading the mission to restore the lake. Even fewer people are willing to take the scrutiny of such a public position. Thankfully, my Dad stands by his beliefs and is willing to step aside when the things that are happening are questionable. For his example, I am grateful.

My Dad's resignation letter reads...

Friends of Lake Delhi –

For those who were not at the LDRA meeting tonight, or at what followed the meeting in February, this may be difficult to understand, but it has become painfully aware to me that those who are intent on taking control of Lake Delhi will not rest until their ambition is realized. For that reason I am submitting my resignation, effective immediately, as President of the Lake Delhi Recreation Association and resigning from the Board of Directors, not as a concession to those who seek control, but because it is my opinion that given the restrictions imposed by the LDRA Board of Directors at the meeting earlier this evening, I cannot function effectively as President, and I will not pretend to agree with the intentions and tactics of those seeking power. This evening Larry Burger and a majority of the LDRA Board going along with him succeeded in doing what the LDWC had attempted to do in February, imposing restrictions which I not only take as a personal insult, but more importantly indicate a lack of support from those who had elected me to a leadership role. When you are no longer allowed to lead, you are just the one out in front.

For some time, certain individuals have criticized my communications and asserted that I share too much information, and that they do not want me to send messages as LDRA President because my messages make them look bad. At the LDRA meeting this evening, Pat Dede was put in charge of all communication for the LDRA. Further, I was restricted by the LDRA Board to not put any messages out from the LDRA. If you would like to be put on Pat Dede’s email list, please send her an email to be added to her list. For those who would like to occasionally receive a personal email from me, when I have something to share, I will keep you on my personal email list unless you contact me to let me know that you would like to be removed from my list.

Having said all of this, none of this is actually about me. My participation on the LDRA and the time I have invested in the Board and as LDRA president has always been for the betterment of Lake Delhi. What I have done in the past, and what I do going forward, is what I believe is in the best interests of Lake Delhi.

I leave the LDRA Board with no regrets. I did the best I could with the circumstances we encountered. I will take these last lines to thank Bob Galiher, who only stayed on the LDRA Board for one last term as a personal favor to me, who always has the best of intentions for Lake Delhi, and who will always look for the best solution and see only the good in those he deals with. Likewise I appreciate the minority on the board who supported me tonight. For those who conspired against me for this meeting and at the previous meeting, you now have what you wanted. You will have God and Lake Delhi to answer to for your actions. Good Luck with that. Mostly I would like to thank Dave Fink, who more than any other person has made sacrifices for Lake Delhi. No one knows more about the Lake Delhi dam, has donated any where near as much time and effort, or is more deserving of your continued support than Dave. If you truly want Lake Delhi back, do not let anyone undermine or alienate Dave, or the future of Lake Delhi is truly in question.

As we all know, the fight to restore Lake Delhi is not over. My commitment to the people of Lake Delhi to work with you in every way that we possibly can to restore our Lake and community is not diminished, but I will have to continue my efforts, like you, as an individual working to restore what is so important to us all. I will continue to do what I think is in the best interest of Lake Delhi whenever and wherever possible.

One of the comments from my detractors has been that I am long-winded, so I will end this here. The sun will come up tomorrow, and with Dave Fink’s continued efforts, and in spite of some other’s agendas, Lake Delhi will be back –

I would like to thank the many people who have supported Becky and me with their kind words and prayers as we have gone through this difficult time together.

Lake Delhi will be back.

See you on the Lake –

Godspeed and God Bless

Jim Willey

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...