Sunday, May 9, 2010

PKU Cooking Class

Last weekend Shane and I, along with Grandma Judy & Becky and Papa Jim all went to a cooking class for in Coralville specifically focused towards the PKU diet. Not only was it great to learn to cook some of the recipes Isaiah will be able to eat, it also was great because we got to EAT some of the food! All of the dishes basically had fruits and vegetables as the main ingredient, but we also were able to try some of the homemade lo-protein tortillas and the lo-protein pasta. Surprisingly most of the food was really pretty good. Definitely a little different tasting than what we are used to, but definitely edible. It was also eye opening to know how long it takes to prepare meals...lots of chopping veggies and making everything from scratch!

We also learned a lot from the other families that attended. We met a lot of older kids (ages 12-16ish) that have PKU and talked to them about how they handle the diet, etc. I was certainly impressed by everyone there...both parents and kids. I'm amazed at the discipline these young kids have. I'm also convinced that Isaiah will be a stronger person for having PKU...and so will I. :)
Waiting to leave for Coralville! I think Isaiah's talking away here!

Hanging out with Grandma Becky and Papa Jim...

Some of the food we made!

1 comment:

Jennifer Rice said...

That is so great! I wish we had one of those around here. I'm sure if anyone comes up with one, we will hear about it. Thanks for sharing! Now I will know who to call on for tips! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...