Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A story about bread…

So…a week or so ago I made my first batch of homemade low protein bread. Remember this beautiful picture…? Yep – looks amazing! And Zay LOVES this bread. I think he’d eat it for every meal!


Well since he thought it was so tasty, I thought I’d make some more this last weekend! We keep almost all of Zay’s low protein food in the freezer, so when things start getting low, I try to be quick to make more! I’d hate to run out of some of his favorite foods! So…last Saturday morning I began my adventure of making homemade bread again. Only this time, I thought…I’ll use the bread machine that Grandma Judy gave to us for Christmas! There’s a recipe specifically for bread machines in the PKU cookbook, so I was set!

That is until I came to a fork in the road…the directions of the bread machine and the directions for the low protein recipe were completely contradictory. Bread machine said add liquids first, cookbook said to add dry ingredients first. Hmmm…what to do! I went with the cookbook instructions…after all low protein bread could be a little different than other breads...

Wrong! That loaf looked like this when it was done! Yikes!

So….Sunday roles around and I’m motivated to try making bread again! Only this time, I decide to make BOTH the bread machine bread AND the old fashioned bread that I made a week ago. This way I will be sure to get at least ONE successful loaf! While I’m doing both of these, I also decide to fill my time making broccoli burgers, mushroom burgers, banana muffins, etc.

So I’m cooking away…everything is going wonderfully. The loaf of bread in the oven gets done first…I take it out and it is PERFECT! Looks just like the one I did a week ago. I take it out of the pan and place it on the cooling rack. Come back five minutes later and it looks a little sunken in. I touch it…feels ok. Pick it up – oh no…..the inside is still completely dough! Bummer…..I thought I had this recipe mastered! Not the case!

Oh well…I’ve still got a little hope with my bread machine loaf! And it was looking great! Baking up just beautifully! Timer goes off…I take the loaf out. Yep – it is smelling and looking great! I set it on the cooling rack. Come back five minutes later to double check that it’s still perfect. Yep – still great! Success!



I decide to go play with Zay in the living room and relax a bit from all my cooking. Shane had run out to the store and arrived home a couple minutes later. I hear him come in the door and say “Bongo, No!”. My heart sinks………..MY BREAD! Our dear first “child” had taken a BIG bite out of my perfect loaf of bread!!!!!!

I will admit, I was a tad bit annoyed….but I am seriously impressed that I didn’t totally lose it. (Don't get me wrong - Bongo and I had words...but I refrained from sending him out into the frigid cold backyard for hours like my irrational-brain was plotting to do!) I simply thought, “Here we go again…I am DETERMINED to get a darn loaf of bread in the freezer for Zay this weekend”. I continued to think about how my hours of work, were now sitting in my dog’s tummy, when they were supposed to be in my son’s tummy!! BUT…at 5:15 on Sunday night, I started the bread machine once again. By about 8:45 PM…….I had another perfect loaf of bread all ready for the freezer made ecspcially for my little Zay!

........Oh the adventures we encounter! You just can't make this stuff up!! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've had the same problems with our dog. I would have sent him outside and probably yelled a lot! Good for you for perservering though! I am considering getting the cookbook you suggested the other day. Looks like you are doing well with it! We have the Apples to Zucchini's book but it is overwhelming to me! :)

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

I have got to get that cookbook! Your bread looks great, Noah would love it :) Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...