Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Prayers for a stranger…

I’m all shook up. And I don’t mean in the kind of Elvis singing shook up way. I mean in the kind of way that I just witnessed a man laying on the ground minutes after he took a jump from the 3rd tier of a parking ramp in an attempt to commit suicide.

It’s funny how to some this will be just another news day in Waterloo. But today will undoubtedly influence me for some time to come. I observed so much in 15 minutes that it is hard for me to even put it into words.

I mostly learned about people.

I learned that there are people that will run to the nearest business to get help for an unaided man laying helplessly on a sidewalk.

I also learned that there can be a half a dozen people that will walk right past a debilitated man laying on the sidewalk, as if he weren't even there.

I learned that there are people that have the comprehension to call 911 in an emergency and stay calm and collected while providing whatever information they can discern.

I also learned that there are some people that will watch from the sidelines, unable to fully absorb the situation.

I learned there are people that will hold the hand of a stranger while he is hurting, helpless, and alone.

I also learned that there are people who won't come within an arms reach of a person in severe pain and who appears to have life issues.

I learned that there are people who will be overcome with emotion when moments of tragedy strike and chaos begins.

And I learned that there are people in this world who may not have the hope that I have in Jesus. People are desperate. People are fragile. People are helpless. People are in pain. And people are alone.

The entire situation made me think...next time I am walking by someone on the street – maybe all they need is a smile and maybe I can say just a little prayer for that person. Because you never know where they are at. They could be standing on the edge, ready to jump and you could be the difference for them...

Please pray for my stranger-friend.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...