Monday, August 23, 2010

PKU Picnic!

This past weekend we headed to Waukee to attend our very first PKU Picnic/Fundraiser. We had a such a great time!

It was a lot of fun to see some other kids with PKU and meet their families. I enjoyed talking with some other moms about how and what the cook for meals. (I have so much to learn!) And overall it was just really great seeing everyone make a special day for all "PKUers".

We were asked to bring one low-protein dish and one normal dish to share. So...I tried my first low protein bread. Strawberry bread! I have to say, it really didn't taste great to me, but I'm sure there will be a lot of dishes that are an acquired taste. As long as I can find things that Zay likes, that will be all that matters!

Zay and Daddy hanging out!

Zay and Mommy!

And Grandma Judy came too!

They had so many fun games for the kids!

3-legged race

Water balloon toss...which turned into an all out water balloon fight!

This is Dallas - he is probably the most famous PKUer in Iowa. Seems like I've seen him in a number of publications and he is a GREAT role model. He gave a speech while we were there, talking about how he handles his diet at school. He explained how he continues to go about his life like a normal teenager, enjoying school, sports and friends like everyone else!


The whole PKU clan! At least the ones that were there that day. From what we know Zay is still the youngest in Iowa.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Sounds great! I wonder if there is any picnics in Alabama like this. So far, I haven't heard of anything like this in our area. I have met 3 other children that live in our county with PKU. It does help to meet other families and get ideas on recipes. It has been a little overwhelming for me at times to think about it all. I would love to meet a family with an older child, I'm sure I could get lots of tips.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...